Monday, July 16, 2012

Too Much Time On My Hands

Since he left, I’ve devoured eleven books. I’m insatiable, looking everywhere for ways to satisfy my mind, occupy my time.

I’ve perfected the art of the grilled cheese sandwich. This might not sound very impressive, but I assure you, it’s a feat nonetheless. I’ve experimented with four types of bread, six kinds of cheese, varying butter/margarine combos, and three different pans in my kitchen. I’ve also figured out the perfect mustard to honey ratio to whip up a great little dipping sauce. This is my comfort food, warm gooey goodness enveloped in buttery, flakey crust.

When I’m lonely or sad or just a little blue, I’ve found that reverting to childhood comforts is the best way to perk up. When I was a kid, there was nothing a good book couldn’t cure. Lose yourself in someone else’s world for an hour or two and you’ll forget your own problems in no time. It’s a little harder now, but at least reading is a constructive time waster. At least I’m not drinking my sorrows away.

I feel so much pressure to fill my free time with a hundred thousand activities like the rest of the people in this city. Trivia! Spin class! Happy hour! Yoga! It’s like I don’t want to be alone with my thoughts for a single second, so I plan my days down to the last minute.

But when life is life and plans get cancelled, I come unmoored. I’m distraction-less. My roommate walks in to find me weeping over a sandwich in the kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. Care to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. But of course!

    Ingredients:
    1.5 tbsp salted butter (room temperature)
    2 slices Pepperidge Farm white bread (sliced - it's super thin slices)
    2 slices Kraft White American Cheese
    1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
    1/2 tbsp Honey Bear Honey

    Directions:
    Lightly butter both sides of both slices of white bread.
    Add some butter to the pan, when it's melted spread it all around and drop one slice of bread into the pan.
    Add the two cheese slices and cover with the second slice of pre-buttered bread.
    Cook for about 1 minute on med. heat, then flip.
    Add a little bit more butter to the pan so the edges get crispier and buttery
    Cook until golden brown.
    Remove from pan and cut into fourths.

    On the side of your plate, mix the mustard and honey to make the perfect side sauce for dunking.

    Comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You kind of sound like George in the Seinfeld episode where he's forced to go without sex for 6wks while his girlfriend has mono. http://vimeo.com/21291918

    ReplyDelete